Is it time to see a sleep specialist?
There are some things you know you should get help for right away – a broken tooth, a broken pipe, a car that won’t start. For other things, though, it can be difficult to tell when you should get help. For instance, sleep problems, such as snoring – you may think that whatever sleep issue you are having will go away on its own over time. But what if it doesn’t? When is it time to see a sleep specialist?
What is a sleep specialist?
A sleep specialist is a doctor who is specially trained in diagnosing and treating sleep disorders. Sleep psychologists, who focus on behavioral and mental issues that can cause sleep problems, and otolaryngologists (ear, nose, and throat doctors) may also help to determine why a patient isn’t sleeping well. Some sleep specialists are trained in oral appliance therapy, to help issues such as sleep apnea.
When to see a sleep specialist
There comes a time when you realize your sleep issues won’t go away on their own. It may be time to call a specialist if:
• You always feel tired, even when it seems like you slept the night before
• Your partner tells you that you snore so loudly they can’t sleep
• You realize that you are gasping for air when you sleep
• You have chronic insomnia, meaning that more often than not you can’t fall asleep
• You fall asleep at unusual times, even at work, at school, or while driving
• You have restless legs as you are trying to fall asleep
• You sleep too much every night, such as more than 10 hours
A sleep specialist can help you to determine why you haven’t been sleeping well and then can treat you so that you can finally get a good night’s sleep. eos dental sleep in Philadelphia specializes in sleep apnea, a sleep problem that can lead to serious health problems if it isn’t treated, but they can also help with snoring. If you have been waiting in vain for your sleep problems to go away, it may be time to get some help. Call eos dental sleep in Philadelphia at (215) 241-0700 for an appointment today!