5 Things You Should Know About Oral Appliances
If you suffer from a sleep disorder such as obstructive sleep apnea, your doctor may have recommended a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine. And if you’ve tried one, you may have found it uncomfortable to sleep in, difficult to travel with, and a hassle to keep clean. However, there is a much better alternative to CPAP – oral appliance therapy. Here are 5 things you may not have known about this treatment.
- An “oral appliance” is much like a mouthguard that an athlete wears and is just as simple to use. It fits over your teeth and works by repositioning your jaw and tongue to open up your airway to help you breathe while you sleep.
- Oral appliance therapy is easy to use but effective. A recent study published in the Journal of Dental Sleep Medicine found that over 80% of patients preferred oral appliance therapy to CPAP. Patients report that it is comfortable, easy to take care of, much quieter than a CPAP machine (obviously!), and very convenient to take along while traveling.
- There are over 100 FDA-approved oral appliances. Your doctor can recommend the one that he or she thinks is right for you.
- Getting an oral appliance is a quick, easy procedure. It typically takes two to three appointments. Your doctor will listen to your concerns and perform an evaluation of your teeth, jaw, and airway. After your device is made you will return for a fitting of the appliance, and your doctor will make any adjustments. You will also need to come in for follow-up visits so that your doctor can check the fit of your appliance.
- It will take time to get used to your device – but don’t give up on it! After several nights, you won’t even notice you are wearing it. But you will notice that you are sleeping better and snoring less. Over 90% of patients who start to use oral appliance therapy are still using it a year later.
eos dental sleep can help you sleep better, with oral appliance therapy. Contact the Philadelphia office today at (215) 241-0700 for an appointment!