Do My Daytime Habits Affect My Sleep Health?
The way you spend your day could have an impact on your sleep quality. If you don’t have good daytime habits, it can put you at risk of developing sleep disorders and health issues.
Effects of Sleep on Your Health
The quality and amount of sleep you get each night can have important effects on your overall health. Good sleep quality, as well as plenty of sleep, can help guarantee that you have energy for the day. When you don’t get enough sleep or when you have poor sleep habits, your health can suffer in different ways. Sleep trouble can affect your immune system function, which leaves you more likely to get colds and other illnesses.
Signs of Poor Sleeping Habits
Some signs that you’re not sleeping well include:
- Daytime Sleepiness: Feeling tired or sleepy during the day since your body didn’t get enough rest.
- Moodiness: You might find yourself feeling more irritable on a regular basis due to lack of sleep.
- Trouble Focusing: Sleep problems can affect the way you think and process information.
- Sleep Disturbances: Having a hard time falling asleep, waking up often during the night, and getting up earlier than you have to.
Daytime Habits That Affect Sleep
There are a few habits that you should lessen in order to get a better night’s sleep. Such as:
- Late Naps: Taking naps later in the afternoon or in the early evening, which makes it harder for you to fall asleep at your regular bedtime.
- Afternoon/Evening Caffeine: Drinking coffee or other caffeinated beverages & foods late in the day.
- Too Much Screen Time: Spending a great deal amount of time looking at bright screens like a TV, laptop/tablet, or phone screen.
- Heavy Dinner or Evening Snack: Eating a large dinner or late-night snacking means that you’ll spend more time trying to fall asleep; the same goes for eating foods that can cause indigestion or heartburn, such as citrus foods.
- Irregular Sleep Schedule: Going to bed and getting up at different times on a regular basis can make it tough for you to develop a steady sleep-wake cycle.
Daily Habits for Improving Sleep Quality
There are many ways for you to improve your sleep quality. Including:
- Avoiding caffeine and heavy foods late in the day
- Taking a nap earlier in the day rather than later
- Giving yourself a comfortable sleep environment that isn’t too hot, bright or loud
- Going to bed at a regular bedtime night after night
- Reading instead of looking at screens before you go to bed
- Exercising during the day for at least 30 minutes
If you’ve been having sleep problems, contact eos dental sleep to set up an appointment. We can help determine the cause of your sleep issues, recommend, and provide our best treatment options.