Is An Anti Snoring Mouthpiece Comfortable?
A common question that patients ask when exploring treatment with an anti snoring mouthpiece, also known as oral appliance therapy, is whether the device is comfortable. Not surprisingly, many of the patients who are asking this question are current or former CPAP users who have had trouble wearing a mask each night due to it’s bulky size, among other things. When it comes to sleep, comfort is extremely important. At the same time, making sure that your snoring or sleep apnea is well managed with a treatment option that you actually want to use is just as critical.
In this blog, the specialist at eos dental sleep will address exactly what an anti snoring device is, how it works and why many patients find it to be a comfortable treatment option, particularly as an alternative to CPAP.
What is an anti snoring mouthpiece and how does it work?
An anti snoring mouthpiece is a custom made oral appliance that’s comprised of upper and lower elements and looks similar to a mouth guard worn during sports. The device is put in before bed and it works by repositioning the jaw and/or tongue to enlarge the airway. As a result, the throat has more room for air to enter and exit and the tongue is stabilized so there’s a reduced chance it will fall back and obstruct your breathing.
Is an anti snoring mouthpiece comfortable?
An anti snoring mouthpiece is extremely comfortable to use and the vast majority of patients prescribed this treatment report using the device on a nightly basis. There are numerous reasons why oral appliance therapy is a comfortable treatment option, which include the following.
- Custom made to fit your mouth – an anti snoring mouthpiece is a custom made device created by the sleep specialist at eos dental sleep
- Multiple style options available, depending on your needs – the proper style will be recommended for you based on your unique needs; there are even models built to accommodate patients who have crown or bridge work or who have missing upper or lower teeth
- Does not impinge upon the tongue or jaw movement – the device does not fix the jaws together or impinge upon the tongue so you can still open your mouth and talk when wearing it
- Small and discreet design – its small size and discreet fit means that most people can close their lips when wearing it
What are some advantages of an anti snoring mouthpiece?
Aside from comfort, an anti snoring dental device has other advantages too, including:
- Safe and effective snoring treatment
- Clinically validated
- Most patients only take a night or two to get used to it
- Convenient to travel with
- Adjustable fit
- Easy to clean and care for
Looking for an anti snoring mouthpiece in Philadelphia?
While snoring and sleep apnea are serious matters that impact your quality of sleep and quality of life, you don’t have to sacrifice comfort to get effective treatment. Schedule a consultation at eos dental sleep today to find out whether you’re a candidate for an anti snoring mouthpiece. Contact our office in Center City, Philadelphia or get started by filling out the schedule appointment form right on this page.
If you still aren’t sure whether snoring is impacting your life, take our short Snore Quiz to identify how severe your snoring is and whether you would benefit from an anti snoring mouthpiece.